On the southern bank of London's river Thames, between St. Saviour's Church and Southwark Bridge Road, with its principal entrance in Park Street, was the renowned Anchor Brewery, which has held a reputation for strong ale from very early times. The Anchor Brewery no longer exists, but the Anchor Public House stand on the same site at 34 Park Street, Southwark, London SE1 9DN. This on the south bank of the river Thames, near London Bridge and Shakepeare's original Globe Theatre. It is about 250 metres north of Thrale Street.
Between 1724 and 1729 - 1781
Henry and Hester Thrale had 12 children most of which died in childhood. It was speculated by Hester that Jeremiah Crutchley was Henry's illegitimate son. However, modern historians think this unlikely.
At the junction of Bankside and Park Street (formerly known as Bank End) there stood in the 15th and 16th centuries an inn called "the Castell upon the Hope" with a wharf, houses and four cottages - so called because of its turreted walls. Around 1770, it was rebuilt and has since been known as The Anchor.
St Leonards Church, Streatham, was the church attended by descendants of Ralph Thrale during the time that they lived at Streatham Park. The Thrale family vault was under the south aisle of the church and the covering slab is still there. However, the family remains were removed to the new catacomb at the time of the rebuilding of the church in 1831-2. The remains are still there and were respectfully filmed by the BBC in 2001.
Henry Thrale wrote this letter to Hester Lynch Salusbury - his future wife - and her mother Hester Maria Cotton requesting to call on them.
Written by Mr Pepys in December 1762. Thraliana entry dated June 1777.
Mr Pepys the Master in Chancery addressed the following Verses to Mr Thrale last October 1776—On his Wedding Day.